X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Raphael: Madonna della Seggiola

Hi,
    I found an old canvas in the loft of our family home. House built circa 1818. We had relatives who travelled a lot during the 1800's. For example a great-great uncle who was in Canada and Liverpool circa 1850-1870s and a great uncle who was in Boston 1895-1900.

Research this week informs me that the original Madonna della Seggiola in Florence was painted around 1514-18 by Raphael. Depicting Mary, baby Jesus and John the Baptist.

My painting only has Mary and baby Jesus in it?

Not sure of a date, or if it is a real oil painting based on the original. I think the canvas may have bought it in Liverpool circa 1860s? or in Boston circa 1895?

Not sure.

Any how it needs cleaning and framed for protection.

Any thoughts welcome.

Donal, from Ireland
    Attached Files

Handpainted copies can sometimes be fairly valuable (over $1,000 say) if they are vintage and skillfully painted. I'm not an art expert so I can't really judge the quality of this reproduction, especially as it appears to need quite a lot of cleaning, plus a little repair. Professional restoration and framing are pretty expensive. A cheap alternative might be to find online instructions or a YouTube tutorial for cleaning oil paintings. You do this at your own risk, but it's possible to do if you start small, are methodical and use minimal materials (water). Once the colors and the brushstrokes come out, then you can better judge whether someone would want to buy the painting and hang it in their home.

Comment

Thanks for the advice--cleaning is the first step

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X