Please identify this Chinese Looking Man Oil Painting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please identify this Chinese Looking Man Oil Painting

Acquired this painting helping a friend moved. Her father passed away and it was his. This painting came from a very affluent Psychologist that lived in the hills of Bel Air, CA. He had a beautiful oriental collection. I've tried making out the name Gris, Gria, Grix, Yrix, Yris, Yria, or Grig? Not sure please help. Thank You.
    Attached Files

Is the painting on dried leaves? If so, how are they joined together?

Comment

The painting seems to be painted on a like a mounting board. It is painted on dried leaves. Not sure how they're staying together? I do know that theyre on there pretty good. They're not falling off that's for sure or crumbling the paint off.

Comment

The guess of what the leaves are? I think tobacco?

Comment

Yes it could be tobacco considering the subject. I have some paintings like this on leaves but they are from India with Indian subjects. It is an interesting painting. What is the size?

Comment

12 x 16. I just joined joined findartinfo.com im searching through a data base of 50,000 signatures. My guesses on the signature seem completely off so I'm about 1000 deep into the signatures. I've had this painting for about 2yrs and now it's bugging the crap out of me who actually made it.

Comment

painting on tobbaco leaf

i just aquired a painting somewhat like your but in different colors
              i am ckng it out with historians i beleive these paintings are very rare
              and priceless mine is sighned oscar let me know if you have any progress
              in fonding out who your painting is

Comment

old chinese man smoking pipe

you can contact capes dunn auctioneer house in the uk
                they auctioned off 2 pictures like yours on tobbaco leaf and should be
                able to tell you what they sold for you can contact them and email a
                picture to them to get stadrted good luck

Comment

Old Man Painted On Tobacco Leaf

I work for an Auction House in California and I saw A Tobacco Leaf Painting Go For 30,000,000,000 Buck those things are Worth A Tunnnn Dont Let Them Go Cheap Your Both Very Luck to have them

Comment

i have two tobacco leaf paintings signed gris.
                    they are of elderly oriental men. one is smoking a cigar or something
                    i got them at a garage sale
                    does anyone know there value or how to evaluate them

Comment

Here's another example of a painting on leaf. Looks almost the same as the original painting posted, but the signature is "Maitree" apparently.

http://www.plunderhere.com/auction_d...ion_id=2449176

Comment

old oriental man painted on leaves

Originally posted by John
                        Here's another example of a painting on leaf. Looks almost the same as the original painting posted, but the signature is "Maitree" apparently.

http://www.plunderhere.com/auction_d...ion_id=2449176
                        I have 4 of those same paintings of old oriental man. 1 is signed what looks like jris, and he is holding his chin in his hand. 1 is smoking a pipe and you can see his teeth. 1 is wearing glasses smoking a hand rolled cigarette ( you can also see his teeth, and 1 is just staring out. They are very beautiful, painted on some type of leaves.

Comment

Chinese Oil Painting on Leaves

My Wife purchased the same type of painting a man head with a pipe and the same signature from Thailand , Bangkok in 1979 They are beautiful I'm not sure what the name is either we have problems reading it

Comment

We have Similar painting Same author

Originally posted by circusdirty
                            Acquired this painting helping a friend moved. Her father passed away and it was his. This painting came from a very affluent Psychologist that lived in the hills of Bel Air, CA. He had a beautiful oriental collection. I've tried making out the name Gris, Gria, Grix, Yrix, Yris, Yria, or Grig? Not sure please help. Thank You.
                            We bought a similar painting by the same author in 1979 in Thailand or Bangkok
                            I can't make out the author either but its a beautiful picture

Comment

Did you determine the origin of these painting? I just bought one at thrift store.

Thank you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X