Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Watercolour - signed but unidentified

Good afternoon all.
    I have owned this tiny watercolour for a while, but have not managed to identify the artist...despite a signature and a message on the back.
    This is a postcard painting which has been gifted to a friend by the artist.
    I believe the name if George something...beginning with 'O'. I have looked through the Grahame Classified Directory of Artist' Signatures, Symbols & Monograms, but without success.
    The 'artist' may of course be an amateur, but before I conclude this I though I should ask this forum to see if anyone recognises the Monogram/Signature.
    Thank you
    Jack. Click image for larger version

Name:	PCard1b.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	765.1 KB
ID:	97512Click image for larger version

Name:	PCard1c.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	97513Click image for larger version

Name:	PCard1d.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	666.2 KB
ID:	97514
    Attached Files

It took me a while but I'm pretty sure the artist is George Outram.It would have helped if he had crossed the T in his name. Here's a page where you can make out his signature, and at the least it's pretty close.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthoped...stal-312465381

Comment

Well done John, that is a very good match.
      The lack of a crossed T fooled me also, but looking at the style of workmanship and the signature you found...like you I'm pretty sure.
      Many thanks for your (speedy) help.
      Jack.

Comment

My pleasure. I just stumbled upon a beautiful oil painting by the artist that sold, in a lot including a second painting, for just 70 pounds. This is scandalous. So many paintings of this type from the late 19th-early 20th centuries are terribly undervalued.

https://www.mellorsandkirk.com/sales...070318/lot/889

Comment

I agree John.
          I recently purchased three small watercolours (William Davis, David Gould Green and a slightly earlier William Payne) for a pittance. I suppose we have to accept that the world of art is like most things...liable to the mores and fluctuations of fashion! In particular, Victorian art currently seems to have lost its attraction: it is a shame but does at least give people the opportunity to buy quite good art for a small outlay.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X