No announcement yet.

Painting left to me by my grandfather.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting left to me by my grandfather.

Hello. I was left this painting by my grandfather, it was a gift to him in 1970 by the goodyear corporation, though I do not know if the painting dates from that time. I would love to know a bit more about it if anyone has any insight.

much appreciation!

Clint
    Attached Files

It looks like there might be a signature at the lower left?

Comment

Yes I am sorry, the 2nd image was to have been that, but I was unable to edit due to being unapproved. Here's a pic, I have also found on the back it was Wilf Frank Griffiths "Etobicoke Creek" 97. the 97 I do not know what that means, it was painted likely in the late 60's as it was a gift to my grandfather dated 1970.
      Attached Files

Comment

it's odd that this is the ONLY on I can find online where he's signed in W Griffiths instead of W.F. it is signed WF on the reverse however. on reading it seems he got more heavily into painted in 1974, perhaps he made things more standard then.

Comment

There are a lot of his works online and they more or less look like this one, so I assume you have the correct artist.

Re the 97, there is a painting on Google Images not too hard to find where the number 5309 is written on the back. Maybe an inventory number used by the artist or the gallery?

Comment

Findartinfo.com has an entry for the artist, listing 20 or so paintings which have sold at auction along with their prices. Most of them are small, in fact one is only 3" by 5". Anyway none of them sold for even $500. These are wholesale prices as opposed to retail gallery prices, but still it suggests that his works are not highly collected.

Comment

Appreciate the follow up help, it's not something I would ever sell I was just curious about it was all. I remember as a little kid staring at the close up chaos of the oils only to be fascinated by the clarity at a distance. lots of good memories here. Thanks again John!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X