Can anyone identify this artist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone identify this artist

I got this as a gift many years ago and would love to identify the artist. Two young boys (appear about 10-12 yrs.) are sitting in a field. One is sitting up with his hands around one knee and the other is reclining. They are both wearing brimmed hats (one brown, one white). There is a bright blue sky with some white fluffy clouds and some trees in the background. I can't find an artist on the picture. It is a very serene and peaceful looking painting. If you can help identify this picture, please let me know. Thanks.

Im pretty sure you are thinking of this work by Winslow Homer - one of my favorite painters.

Comment

Winslow Homer painting

OMG...that is it. Thank you so much. I wonder what its value is. Any idea?

Comment

The original is worth a lot; I have no idea what a reproduction would go for. FWIW, you can buy a copy right now on Allposters.com.

Comment

Hello, we just purchased an 8"10" oil painting that has one very old label on the back of canvas that appears as old as the painting. It reads, Seacoast oil painting by Homer, warranted by the artist distribution organization New York. Would you happen to know about this painting?

Comment

May have been overlooked. .. has one very old label on the back of canvas that appears as old as the painting. This label reads, Seacoast oil painting by Homer, warranted by the artist distribution organization New York.

Comment

belize, Dont know if you ever got the information you were seeking but I would need to see a picture of the work to identify it. New here so don't know if there are issues with doing so but I don't see how someone can identify a work without seeing it.

Comment

Can anyone please give me any info about a chalk/pencil artwork from Germany called PFUNZ? I have a picture of it but can't make out the author's name.

Comment

Art Historians beware: Julius Stafford-Baker is a name that recurs within one family, as Father and Son, the elder occasionally signing his very few paintings as plain Julius Baker, the younger sometimes as Julius B Stafford-Baker, with and without the 'B', and maddeningly, quite often not signing at all!. Both worked as comic paper illustrators for bread and butter income, the elder originally with work for adults e.g. in 'The Garland' with 'Hooligan' as the front page character, (including some cartoons for 'Judge' magazine in the USA in the 1880s-1890s sometimes signing as Frank Martin, later more often as J.S. Baker) and later many comic paper series for little children, notably 'Tiger Tim and the Bruin Boys' and 'Caseys Court', The Son, having been a very prolific War Artist for the RAF in WW2, after the sad loss of Nash, found himself drawing 'Tiger Tim', and much more of that sort in the 1950s, that same series started by his Father back in the 1890s. The Son started in watercolour, entirely self taught, and was accepted for the R.A, Summer Exhibition in 1935. Two or three more were accepted every year thereafter until around 1958 or so. Neither father nor son ever attended any kind of formal art training, except that the father studied black and white (pen and ink) cartoon drawing under his Uncle John Phillip Stafford at his Fulham studios in the 1880s. The son became a wood engraver to a very high standard, and in printmaking. once entered the Giles Bequest Competition at the V & A gaining third prize after Rothenstein and Bawden (Snr) but never entered again, nor exhibited any of this work. He experimented with almost every process you can think of.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  x
                  Working...
                  X