Paintings by William Hodges...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered
    I have a piece with a woman and a little girl in a field signed by W. Hodges. I don't think it's the work of the man from the 1700's but I am finding more people with the same type of paintings in different locations. I'm about 20 minutes north of Boston, Ma. Please give location and maybe we all can help each other out. Nice painting by the way.

I have the same painting hanging over a fireplace. I picked it up at a second hand furniture shop for $55.00. It is a heavy oil on canvas with lots of varied colored flowers,woman in bonnet holding a little girl's hand looking across a pond.I would also like to know more about it.

Comment

mass produce

I'm not an expert in art, but I have more and more flair and knowledge with the time.
      I also think that William Hodges was a generic name for mass-produced work of art. A lot of these ''period/style'' painting were mass produced and if someone has a good link to learn more about how these were done, let me know...

Lastly, since we can see from the replies on this forum, that these painting are widespread over the US; and considering that no museum/institution has information on the painter, the explanation could be the ''mass production painting''

Anyway, theres a link with some information on a william Hodges, but style just dont fit
      http://www.nmm.ac.uk/upload/package/30/home.php

Comment

Help

What is Hodges' artstyle? Does it fall under romanticism or neoclassicism, the two major art styles of that period?

Comment

women and liitle girl in field

Originally posted by Unregistered
          I have a piece with a woman and a little girl in a field signed by W. Hodges. I don't think it's the work of the man from the 1700's but I am finding more people with the same type of paintings in different locations. I'm about 20 minutes north of Boston, Ma. Please give location and maybe we all can help each other out. Nice painting by the way.
          Same piece given to me, located artist website but no luck with this signed oil painting. Need help in Texas.

Comment

W. Hodges Painting

I've got a rather large oil on canvas painting of a man fly fishing in some spots the paint is so thick it makes it look almost 3d sort of or at least gives depth and texture to the painting. I found this painting 20 years ago in an abandon barn. The painting is signed. W. Hodges.. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by jo4bridge
              I've also purchased a W. Hodges oil --- it's 35 by 23 inches and is a scene of a woman (wearing long dress and hat) next to a red roofed small cottage, looking over a pond with tons of flowers etc.. lots of blue sky with clouds and tall green grass. Wish I knew something of this artist, but can't seem to bring anything up. Have you learned anything?
              i have the same exact painting you speak of

Comment

Hodges Painting

wow, a lot of W.Hodges out there. I just purchased one at Goodwill here in Bradenton, Florida for 50 dollars. Pretty large, about 3ft. by 4ft. of a very eery green landscape looking out over a cliff toward a distant row of hills with many many rows of bushy trees and a large eery cliff rising in the distance. A big tree is in the front with two stones that look like two seats with an eery light glowing around them. Also at the forground a lot of thick paint that actually becomes three dimensional. A mysterious light is overall with shadows from the small bushes casting a glow on the ground. Very interesting painting. I bet it is one of these generic artists. Has anyone found out anything more?

Comment

Hodges Painting

wow, a lot of W.Hodges out there. I just purchased one at Goodwill here in Bradenton, Florida for 50 dollars. Pretty large, about 3ft. by 4ft. of a very eery green landscape looking out over a cliff toward a distant row of hills with many many rows of bushy trees and a large eery cliff rising in the distance. A big tree is in the front with two stones that look like two seats with an eery light glowing around them. Also at the forground a lot of thick paint that actually becomes three dimensional. A mysterious light is overall with shadows from the small bushes casting a glow on the ground. Very interesting painting. I bet it is one of these generic artists. Has anyone found out anything more?

Comment

W. Hodges

I just purchased a W. Hodges painting from my neighbor at her garage sale for $15. It is approximately 3 X 4 feet. The subject is a country cottage and English garden. It reminds me of Thomas Kinkade's style, but obviously not as brilliant. I was just looking at some reproductions of paintings at Costco for $300 and wishi I could get one, but then I came home and saw this one my neighbor was selling and blessed my lucky stars. The frame alone is worth much more than I paid. W. Hodges's paintings may be the work of mass production, but they are beautiful none-the-less.

Comment

I also have a painting by w. Hodges that I purchased in California.

It might just be another way of saying Made in China.

Comment

I have one of these paintings too

Artist - W. Hodges

A woman and a girl sitting in a field with long blue and pink dresses. One woman is holding a small bunch of flowers. A lot of flowers and grass in picture. Lots of vibrant and pastel colors and a very small house/cottage in the background. Painting is more recent. Picked up painting at a yard sale in Southern California. 12 x 10 inches. I am guessing it is a woman artist. Very feminine style.

Comment

Polk, Fla

Hi all,

Yes, I too have a Hodges. I just bought it yesterday in Polk, Florida at a Thrift store. Mine is the quaint pink roofed cottage with a beautiful English garden in front. In the distance there's a palm tree just before what appears to nbe a lake or river and then mountains and clouods in the background. It reminded me of Maui, Hawaii. It's just beautiful. It's absolutely beautiful, I love it! I hope Hodges painting bring as much joy to you as it has for me!!!

Comment

I have e W Hodges oil painting, not the famous painter from 1700's. Pastel colours, two ladies, one in a boat holding an oar, the other is standing on the land picking flowers from a tree with lots of white blossoms. I live in New South Wales, Australia & bought the painting from a thrift store. As yet I have found no info about the artist.

Comment

Hello, i am in Connecticut, also have a painting from W.Hodges. It was find at Goodwill in Wallingford. On the painting in a very lush greenery is a girl in a pink short and a ponytail, next to her is a boy with a fishing pole looking toward a lake, on the other side is some houses, and lots of sky, but mostly it is dominated by lush greenery and some very colorful flowers, it is more of a modern seen, also if You go look in the back of the canvas, You can tell it is new. So maybe we all have something that was mass produced, but if they all like mine, who cares it is beautiful. So just enjoy the paintings.

Comment

W. Hodges

I too have one that I bought recently. Beautiful colors. There is a lake, with 2 sail boats on it and on the shore is a women with a parasol holding a little girl's hand. There is also a path leading to the water and lots of vibrant plants/flowers. I got mine at a Chicago estate sale.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X