S. Hilgle Mystery Painter.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awsome information about S. Hilgle

Thank you so much for getting back with me. The puzzle is coming together.
    Great information.

Comment

Forgot to mention, the painting was owned by grandparents for many, many years.

Comment

We have a S. Hilgle original that was purchased by my parents at an Art exhibition in Toronto Canada in 1970/71. It is one of her finer works of a Gypsy woman. Currently for sale here
        http://bellingham.craigslist.org/art/3772140272.html

Comment

A very nice painting.

Thank you for the link. Do you have any further information on the Artist or the actual art place in Toranto they got it from?
          I was thinking they may have some records if they are still in business.
          I hope your art sells.
          Thanks.
          Tall

Comment

S. Hilgle-

The work of S. Hilgle does have a German expressionist aspect while at the same time, realism.
            I have heard that this painter was from Switzerland, which would account for Germanic influence. However, the subjects are varied indeed, from beautiful portraits of women to still life and also one known portrait of a young lad, Village Boy which is listed on eBay at this time. The one portrait on Craigslist is quite typical of all portraits by Hilgle, bold color, loose and broad brush strokes and well highlighted frontal areas. He is indeed a fine painter and deserves more recognition than he seems to be getting.
            The price of the Craigslist painting is a little high compared to most
            selling prices I have discovered, but it is not unrealistic either compared to
            other artists with less talent and more hype.
            I would expect most paintings by S. Hilgle to fetch $1000-$2000 in the near future. Most I have seen seem to have been painted in in the 60s and 70s.

Regards,
            The Collector

Comment

Very nice. Thank you for the very informative response. I agree that this is a very talented artist. Thank you also for the pricing but would never sell this painting because I love it.
              I am still looking for a first name though.
              Thanks again and have a great summer.
              Todd

Comment

S Hilgle

Just received a gift from my wife's uncle. It is an oil by S Hilgle.
                It is a young lad holding an empty bowl. He is looking toward the right and hence is a profile of his face. He is wearing a colorful scarf knotted loosely around his neck. The history of the painting is that it was purchased in or around Naples, Italy in the 60's. Any further info would be appreciated.

Comment

European Painter of about 52 years

Thanks for the Post.
                  If you look at the thread you will see this has been going for a while.
                  The estate sales seems to be the place people are finding them in the states.
                  Up North is not uncommon and Canada. The Arizona Gallery probably has the most painting and another comment posted on thread one said the artist may have been from Switzerland with a Germany influence. Young boys and pretty girls, and even birds have been recorded in his works. What is strange is that the artist has no recorded first name, and does not show up in any art scene or magazines. The name Hilgle is not common to the US, and the "S" on the first initial seems to look German in the way it is signed. The Gypsy woman has been reported more than ounce as a model, and she has aged in some of the paintings. I love the artist and would love to find out more about him or her.
                  Thanks for your post and enjoy your painting it is rare.

Comment

Hi, we have a painting of a Spanish woman with a tambourine and she wearing a mantilla, by S Hilgle. We would love to have information about the artist. Our painting was bought in Kitwe, Northern Rhodesia, in 1964 (now Zambia). We would not sell her as she is precious to us and the family! We live in the Western Cape, South Africa, and will seek information from art collectors or art gallery in Cape Town.

Comment

S. Hilge still a Mystery.

Hi. I would love to have the first name of the Artist also. I purchased (Gypsy lady, what I call her) this painting from a guy in upstate New York. I posted this blog so that information could be posted over time. As you can tell at going back through the first page that there are many fine examples of the artist all over the place. This was the first report from Africa (very cool). I would never sell her also and love to display her in my home. I think that the painter Hilgle should be with many of the great art names. As of yet we have found nothing except for accounts of the painting itself. No first name as of yet. No museum or book of reference. An art Gallery in the US is selling 4 of the S. Hilgle paintings.
                      Post anything you found out and check in often.

Comment

S.Hilgle

Kiaora from New Zealand. Like so many posts before, I have a S Hilgle painting. It is mesmerising ....it's of a beautiful woman of olive complexion and she is stunningly portrayed in oil.
                        I have no idea what the S stands for in the name and would love to know. I will endeavour to keep searching like everyone else.
                        Regards Al

Comment

S Hilgle

Kia ora from New Zealand
                          I live in Christchurch and also have a painting of a mesmerising woman painted by S Hilgle. The oil is in excellent condition and I love it.
                          It is interesting that this phenomena is world wide and so many people from around the globe possess a piece of Hilgle's artistry...he surely has a talent for capturing the true essence of beauty...my painting like so many is of a beautiful olive complexioned woman with a inner glow and sense of rapture
                          Regards Al Neale

Comment

Love the Hilgle from down under

I just saw that a painting of S. Hilgle Sold last month in England, I think on the model of Anne. Would of loved to get that one but, they did not want to ship it. They seem to be all over the world I guess. For a person that is unknown as an artist they sure show up in some interesting places. I do love the mystery and the artist, and will keep searching. Please keep me informed if you find anything further. I would love to see a picture of yours. Thanks for your post.
                            Todd

Comment

S Hilgle

I am so glad to find this forum. I have been looking for days for something on this artist. I just inherited this oil painting from my Aunt. All I know is that it has hung safely in her home since the 70"s. Mine is a young Red headed woman. for some reason I cannot get it to upload. It seems it is taking up too much space. I even tried my camera phone. I will keep trying. Cathy.
                              Last edited by catray; September 11th, 2014, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Red Head is very cool!

I have noticed a pendant on most of the Models with a gold chain around her neck. Not sure if this is the same on yours, but would be interesting. What part of the Country are you from? The 60s & 70s is around the time most of them have appeared. Maybe you can check with some of the family if they remembered when the painting was purchased. Mine was from an estate sale auction (or a guy who bought it from an estate) in NY state. I hope that in the future all this information will add up to finding more about this very talented artist that is still shrouded in mystery. Thanks for your post and the site has a very restrictive size to the picture size. Mine I had to edit with adobe photo editor. I look forward to seeing the photo.
                                Todd

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X