Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Painted Ladies

Hiya, just finished another painting.
    The photo is terrible but the real thing is pretty nice and I'm happy with it. Tried to make it as romantic as possible.
    The scene is from San Francisco, these houses are called The painted ladies.

What do you think, **** or potential?

I also have a video thing of it on you youtube.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZRzATn6yq0
    Attached Files

haha...I picked out this photo before watching your video to show how accurate your painting was. The projector is an interesting technique...have never seen that before, Do a lot of artists use a projector? Fifteen minutes...wow! Have always admired these houses. Perhaps one of the owners would like to purchase your painting. Well done!

Ooh ooh feeling fine mama
    Painted ladies and a bottle of wine mama....

Click image for larger version

Name:	SanFran.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	186.0 KB
ID:	92956

Comment

I didn't watch the whole video, but you should be careful of using the works of others as a basis for your paintings. Using Google Images is a great idea for inspiration, but if the original is recognizable you could end up like Shepard Fairey. He used a photo of Obama with a particular expression on his face as a reference, and got nailed for copyright infringement.

Comment

You're probably right John. I think it would be very hard to get sued because the painting must be extremely similar to the photo, if not, it's an intepretation which is alright.
        Besides, I'm not too worried because I never sell my paintings, I'm unknown, only been painting for 2ish years. If I get Good, or even bad and Famous, then I will take that into much greater consideration. Thank you for your fair warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirene View Post
          haha...I picked out this photo before watching your video to show how accurate your painting was. The projector is an interesting technique...have never seen that before, Do a lot of artists use a projector? Fifteen minutes...wow! Have always admired these houses. Perhaps one of the owners would like to purchase your painting. Well done!

Cool
          Did you see in the very beginning that I don't use a single image but multiple. so I use part of one image I like and then overlay with another that has something else I like.
          So the final reference picture I use is a unique combo. Thank you for watching the video and I apologise for my apathetic psychopathic look and speech haha. I'm not made to be in front of a camera.

Comment

Originally posted by Eirene View Post

Forgot to answer you about the projector. For sure it's common. Back in the 1700s they used mirrors and camera obscura to do the same thing, check a great "documentary" called Tim's Vermeer. Laster in the 1800s they used photograps, they projected images from reels onto the canvas and before modern projectors many use transparent film on those old projectors we had in school..if you're over 40, you know which ones I mean. so it's very common. I don't do it all the time myself, it's fun to make up the layout from scratch too but when I paint from photos and particulary city scapes then I find it faster, it saves the boring time of getting the perspecitve right. I hate blocking in too, it's super boring so this also helps with that only now I block in black actyllics on anything darker than mid tone instead of a somewhat accurate mid tone. This way I can start having fun with colors 1 hour later.

Comment

The famous Painted Ladies of San Francisco are a row of colorful houses that I love, really like this painting.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              x
              Working...
              X