Artist signature has me stumped!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artist signature has me stumped!

I purchased this a few years ago at an estate sale. I fell in love with it and it has become my favorite piece in my mid century art collection. It is acrylic on heavy black board. Written in pencil on the back was "Mod. House." There was a fragment of an address on the original paper backing. It was an interior design shop in Los Angeles that was in business in the late 1950s - 1960s. May have been a California artist. The artist signature appears to be "Idris" or some have suggested "Doris." Any ideas.
    Attached Files

I think it says "doris". Not sure who the artist may be. It has kind of a Braque feeling to it.

Comment

Wow thank you for mentioning Braque. I have not looked at his work in a long time and I do see the similarity, especially his work during the 1940s. This may have been an "homage " to his cubist still life work. I was dating it to the 1950s. I think the signature may be "doris" also.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
      Auto-Saved
      Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
      x
      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
      x
      x
      Working...
      X