Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Artist/Sitter from 16th century

I am trying to identify the artist or sitter in this miniature portrait I acquired from a antique dealer. The portrait is approx. 8.6cm X 5cm in what looks like original wooden frame and I believe is from mid 1600's. I cannot make the medal/decoration he is wearing either. Oil on copper possibly dutch. Many thanks
    Attached Files

The extravagant facial hair makes me think it might be Dutch, as you suggest. Also it has a Rembrandt-influenced chiaroscuro going on.

I tried Google's reverse image search, on the chance it is a copy of a full-sized oil painting or another miniature, but the only thing that showed up is the identical painting and frame from an auction site based in South Africa where it was listed earlier this year.
    https://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/3999...TO_COPPER.html

Comment

Reminds me of Sir Francis Drake.

Comment

Yes indeed. You can even see portraits of him wearing the same sort of white collared shirt with lacy fringe and a medal around his neck. Not the exact same shirt and not the same medal, though.

Comment

Heraldic lion around his neck?

Comment

Many thanks to responders. It's a tough one The medal I think is King Phillip 11 of spain. The work appears to be dutch school (circle) and possibly is King Phillip himself? Nothing very positive as yet though.

Comment

Possible, there's a clear resemblance. Philip II is often portrayed with some kind of symbol around his neck, but not a medal. This looks like it could even be a medal or coin with his own face on it.

Comment

For comic relief, here's a painting of the wedding of Philip II and Queen Mary. There is really something wrong with the perspective here. Philip reminds me of Deadpool when he is growing out his baby legs. The microdogs in the foreground are a nice touch too.

Click image for larger version

Name:	felipe_of_spain_and_mariatudor.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	104305

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X