Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anybody know anything about John R. Good?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anybody know anything about John R. Good?

I found three pictures in the back of a cupboard and I absolutely love them. It's taken quite a while but I think I've finally figured out that the signature says "John R. Good". I can't find many examples of his art (or much of a biography) online so I'm not completely sure. So I'll post the pictures here in the hopes that someone will be able to tell me if they are something that John R. Good might have painted.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/2986972...n/photostream/

Any help and information about the pictures or Good would be very, very much appreciated!

I have a John R good

I have been trying to find out some info on Jonh R Good for sometime now also. I have one of his works and I love it ....All I know is my Mom and Dad picked it up in N.Y.C. in the Village in about 1955. I'll take a photo of my "good" and put it on flickr under Johnrgood in the next day or so.

Comment

me to

i found one the same as your first pic in the back of a picture fram looks cu tup

Comment

Go to newdayeclectic.com and enter the artist's name in their search space. They have one piece that resembles your find.

Comment

Go to newdayeclectic.com and enter the artist's name in their search field. They have one piece that resembles your find. Good luck.

Comment

Thank you all for the help. I know that my mom's aunt bought them quite a long time ago and that she traveled a lot so that all fits. And the newdayeclectic.com site does have a similar picture.

The only problem is that my pictures are much smaller than the dimensions on that site. Mine only measure 4" x 6". My other problem is that my pictures are French scenes and Good worked in Greenwich Village. I woner if he traveled and painted.

Last, because I am most definitely still looking for information, the frames I have are some sort of weird molded plaster that have been antiqued (the aunt was big on that) and they look there age. They have brown paper backs with what seem to be removed price stickers and faded stickers that have an inspection number. There are no names or anything. I don't know if any of that makes a difference or not.

I shouldn't take the brown paper off, should I? Because I'm dying to know if there is anything underneath it but I don't want to hurt the value. So advice is appreciated.

But thanks again!

Comment

We were thrilled to see these postings.

My parents also loved Mr. Good's work and bought at least nine of his paintings in the 1950s at the Greenwich Village art shows. The subjects include what we believe are NJ and/or Brooklyn seasides, a shanty on stilts, an amusement park, a house in Manasquan (hope I'm close to spelling that correctly), what looks like a cannery row, a hansom cab (Central Park or Paris?), and two scenes of what we assume are Paris. The two Parisians are strikingly similar to those you posted. The main difference is the size; our smallest is about 12" by 18". Most are in simple wooden frames, although one is in that faux-antique resin you described. As for the backs - one of them, a charming ramshackle bungalow, was inscribed to my mother in 1950 along with the notation "Somewhere in Brooklyn", which I think is a description rather than an actual title because none of the others have discernable titles. Most, but not all, of the backs bear Mr. Good's address (Morton Street) and phone number.

As a devoted technophobe, I must enlist my brother to post the images - I have no idea how these things work, but I would love to share them with you.

Comment

john r. good

hello. my name is daniel belardinelli and i am a friend of john r. good. john is 83 years old and lives in nyc. actually, we both live in the same building in soho. john used to own a gallery on west 4th street in greenwich village in the 1950's. what are your parent's names? i'm sure john would remember them. if you would like to get in touch with me, my cell number is: 201.602.4960 and my e-mail address is: monkeydab@aol.com. i too am a painter (an outsider). should you have any other questions regarding john, feel free to contact me.

My parents also loved Mr. Good's work and bought at least nine of his paintings in the 1950s at the Greenwich Village art shows. The subjects include what we believe are NJ and/or Brooklyn seasides, a shanty on stilts, an amusement park, a house in Manasquan (hope I'm close to spelling that correctly), what looks like a cannery row, a hansom cab (Central Park or Paris?), and two scenes of what we assume are Paris. The two Parisians are strikingly similar to those you posted. The main difference is the size; our smallest is about 12" by 18". Most are in simple wooden frames, although one is in that faux-antique resin you described. As for the backs - one of them, a charming ramshackle bungalow, was inscribed to my mother in 1950 along with the notation "Somewhere in Brooklyn", which I think is a description rather than an actual title because none of the others have discernable titles. Most, but not all, of the backs bear Mr. Good's address (Morton Street) and phone number.

As a devoted technophobe, I must enlist my brother to post the images - I have no idea how these things work, but I would love to share them with you.[/QUOTE]

Comment

John R. Good

Greetings,

My name is Daniel Belardinelli and i am a personal friend of John R. Good. John is now 83 years old and still lives in NYC. In fact, John and I live in the same building in Soho.

John owned a gallery on West 4th Street in Greenwich Village in the 1950's and had a considerable following. He studied art at Pratt Institute in NYC.

If anyone would like more information about John, feel free to contact me at: monkeydab@aol.com or 201.602.4960.

i too am a painter (an outsider), however, my work does not resemble John's in the least. You can imagine how much i treasure my friendship with John. His stories of the art scene on NYC in the 1950's and 1960's are remarkable.

daniel belardinelli

Comment

John R Good

Danniel,
                    Great to hear that John is doing well - he is lucky to have a friend like you around! Tell him Hi and that he has a lot of fans around {I have purchased some of his paintings and am always looking for more}. Would love to hear from him! Take care and tell him that his paintings are in good hands with people who will always take care of them!
                    Best to you and Yours!

Comment

John R Good; eBay

Hit this thread while searching for some price data on Mr. Good. If you are interested, please check out eBay item 130320927136, a paiting by Mr. Good just posted.
                      Thank you for the above information.
                      Regards,
                      Andrew.

Comment

John R Good

Dear Mr daniel belardinelli,
                        Please convey my utmost respect to Mr Good. I own 3 pieces of Mr Good's which I believe are prints of some sort, (I would love to find out more about his methods and process) one of which matches the size mentioned in the first post and matches the photograph on flickr also mentioned above http://www.flickr.com/photos/2986972...n/photostream/

As an artist myself I am honored to have contact with artists of your generation. Are either of your still painting? I would love for you to join me and my other artist friends on flickr.com. We post our work and give each other feedback, we joke, chat and generally encourage each other in our work. All you need is a digital camera, and a computer to send the images to the internet.

Jeff Woodyard

Comment

Would love to hear from John on this site! Just this thread has shown that Mr Good has a lot of people on this site who have expressed their appreciation of his lifes work. They have learned about his paintings, either via loved ones that have passed away and left paintings to the next generation to enjoy and pass along, or have stumbled along pieces of his art that have generated an interest in his work and have began to collect them, invest money in having frames redone, paintings cleaned etc in order to preserve them for not only their own enjoyment but to preserve and leave to future generations. I would think that this would be the true testimony of an artist that through time his or her art continues to be apprectiated for years to come.

Duke

Comment

Andrew - thanks for the heads up via painting for sale! Would appreciate it if you or anyone hears about another John R Good painting for sale to let me know via this site! Thanks Again.
                            Duke

Comment

John R. Good(e?)

My parents had what appeared to be a water color painting for years of Mr. Good(e)'s hanging in their living room. It was a painting of a church-like building on a hill at night in the moonlight. Itwas very realistic and bears no resemblence to your paintings which doesn't mean they're not by the same artist. I'm sorry I don't think I have a photo to send but I'll look.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X