Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unknown Artist signature

I have recently enjoyed discovering the world of art but unfortunately have been brought down to size due to the lack of knowledge and references available to assist me in my voyage of discovery. I recently purchased these two fine original canvas paintings. As my wife is U.K born I was most interested in the obvious British flavour that the paintings hold. Unfortunately, I have googled from east to west but have not managed to get the correct artists name to begin my Intel gathering. Is there anyone on the forum able to assist me in at least identifying the signature? Kindest regards Richard
    Attached Files

Looks like it might read Sumillo or something like that. I would caution you that these may have come from a factory outlet in Asia, under a pseudonym. Even in the '60s and '70s, there was quite an assembly line of artists making paintings for sale in department stores and so on.

That doesn't make the work any less fine or any less enjoyable, but it may mean that you never find a tangible artist to associate them with. I could be wrong in this case, but it's common.

Comment

Well! John, you can't always be right!
      It is signed Francisco and it is from the hard time of an artist better known now with his full name : Francisco Sillue.
      http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/...-thames-oil-on
      https://www.google.fr/search?q=franc...w=1280&bih=867
      http://translate.google.fr/translate...biografia.html
      Last edited by saintmarc; August 11th, 2014, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Oh my God. How did you ever read that as "Francisco", and then make the leap to Francisco Sillue?

Comment

Except the similarity in brushstrokes I noticed from a painting signed sillue on ebay UK (searching with words : street scene francisco), I googled Francisco Sillue found the first link (liveauctioneers) and from that you certainly noticed, on the paintings signed Francisco Sillu? availables on the net, the particular shape of the F beginning Francisco and above all the way he untied the c and the o after Francis..
          Last edited by saintmarc; August 12th, 2014, 12:17 AM.

Comment

Great news

You are amazing !!!! Well done and a BIG THANK-YOU. The knowledge on this site is absolutely overwhelming......your interest and assistance is truly appreciated. I'm so looking forward to the voyage of art discovery ahead...R

Comment

Can anyone help with the pictures attached? Any information about them would be great.

Comment

Sorry, but I do not see any pictures. Anyway you are better off starting a new topic for a new question. Just go to the forum overview page and click the "New Topic" button.

Comment

I am assisting someone with what looks like a Francisco Sillue oil on canvass. Signature looks authentic. The problem I am having is that there is a date on the side of the painting on back reading 1908, which obviously doesn't jive. Tile of the painting is The school Child, "Enfant a l'ecole" Thought anyone?

Comment

I have a painting with G . Grant any ideas

Comment

I need info on a sculptor's signature. It's Kaag and the piece is a miniature bronze gold miner. Thanks for your help!

Comment

I've bought acrylic by Betty Laing. Please show artists signature.

Comment

Please show Betty Laing artist signature.
                          Thanks

Comment

Water color of two ballet dancers from Black Swan done by Robert 1952

Comment

did a painting 1970s called DAYDREAM, any info anybody about this artist?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X