Need help identifying Joseph Farquharsen painting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help identifying Joseph Farquharsen painting

Is anyone familiar with this painting? It is signed J Farquharson, who I believe to be Joseph Farquharson from Scotland. It is very similar to his "Gathering Winter Fuel", and certainly a depiction of the same scenery and of the same style as several others belonging to him.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by knights1213; May 18th, 2008, 11:17 AM.

I don't recognize it, but I have to say I like the color of this better than "Gathering Winter Fuel", which in the reproductions I've seen is quite treacly.

Comment

Winter Fuel

I recently found an signed etching of Farquharson with a date on the back of the frame 8/1/1906. It is black and white but very dark as the paper it is on has aged.

Tilman

Comment

Originally posted by knights1213
        Is anyone familiar with this painting? It is signed J Farquharson, who I believe to be Joseph Farquharson from Scotland. It is very similar to his "Gathering Winter Fuel", and certainly a depiction of the same scenery and of the same style as several others belonging to him.

Any help would be appreciated.
        My grandmother has a black and white print. I am searching for information.
        It would be nice to find out more about them.

Comment

Same painting

My sister in law also has this same painting. It is large , and had joseph farquarson on it , It also has a date on it. We think it came from Detroit, Michigan. whether it was in a shop there or not. Her aunt had it and she inherited it from her.

Comment

Farquarson Painttng

Have just seen your picture. I have a virtually identical original oil, signed by Farquarson. Mine is entitled "Now came still evening on". The label has ARA after his name, which,I think,indicates that it was painted before 1911. Do you know the history of your painting?

Comment

now comes still evning on

I have the same painting by Joseph Farquharson ARA, copyright in 1906 in the United States of America by Frost & Reed, Bristol England. My painting is also faded or dull like it's aged and is signed by the artist. The title on mine is "Now Comes Still Evning On" like evening is mis-spelled intentionally and has D57 written in the painting in the lower left side above the artist signature, i don't know what the D57 indicates and it also has a raised embossed FR print probably for Frost & Reed
              I've not found any info on this painting and have done a lot of research but it sounds like there a several copies around. hard to tell a copy from an original.

Comment

Farquharson "Home Thru Woods"

I need help Identifying this Farquharson print, etching titled "home Thru Woods" It is signed in pencil, on border of picture..Please check it out. If anyone has ANY information on this picture, I would so appreciate it. Thanks much, Elaine

Comment

"Now Comes Still Evning On"

Originally posted by danny
                  I have the same painting by Joseph Farquharson ARA, copyright in 1906 in the United States of America by Frost & Reed, Bristol England. My painting is also faded or dull like it's aged and is signed by the artist. The title on mine is "Now Comes Still Evning On" like evening is mis-spelled intentionally and has D57 written in the painting in the lower left side above the artist signature, i don't know what the D57 indicates and it also has a raised embossed FR print probably for Frost & Reed
                  I've not found any info on this painting and have done a lot of research but it sounds like there a several copies around. hard to tell a copy from an original.
                  The watercolor I have by Farquharson, is titled"Home Thru Woods", again, "through", is mispelled...I've done a bit of research. Apparently, he DID mispell, intentionally.Sorry I can't be of more help, but with this artist, it seems, every little bit helps. His works are like puzzles;so many formats,many reproductions, etc.Good Luck!

Comment

Just joined so not sure if this is still relevant. I would agree, from memory I think it might a print of 'Now came still evening on' - the title from Milton's 'Paradise Lost'. I had it in my head that NCSEO didn't have a figure but JF regularly reworked paintings and did additional versions slightly different from the original. It will almost certainly be in the woodlands of Finzean Estate. The figure is similar to that in 'Gathering Winter Fuel' - maybe he got the same shepherd to pose for both? lol

Mark.

Comment

I have a print of this. It was in the back of another painting and being used as packing. Mine is much wider with more detail at each side. It is titled "HOME THROUGH THE WOODS". It's about 24 inches by 16 as I recall (can't find it at the moment).

Below the printed picture are the following printed words in Copperplate script(very small)

"Entered according to the act of congress in the year 1900 by The Fine Art Society Ld (sic) in the office of the Librarian of Congress at Washington"

Above the print again in small copperplate print is

"London March 1st 1900. Published by The Fine Art Society Ld 148 New Bond Street" That may apply just to this print version. Bond Street is a very up market shopping area in London!

Below the left hand bottom of the picture is "Painted by Joseph Farquharson A.R.A."

Hope this helps.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Another version of the painting has popped up here:

http://www.artconversation.com/quest...w-picture.html

Comment

Jean

I have a picture by j farquharson dated 1902 its black and white and has been in the family since the 1960,s It has been in an art gallery in London however can't find another print like it. Its sheep under some trees. its about 2 foot by 1.6 foot.

Comment

Same print

I have the same print but it is larger and it seems to be a sepia print. It came from my Great Aunt's estate. I had always love this piece. I have found very little info on it. There was a previous thread that said they thought their print came from Detroit. My family has strong ties to that area so it is possible that they bought it there.

Does anyone know what the true name is of it?

Comment

Can you identify the painter of this print please?

I have a print from 1920. The print was possibley framed around 1920 as there is a piece of newpaper with this date on from the Sunday Cronical.
                              There was brown paper on the back but this had disintigrated with time.
                              There is no signature on the print but initials on the back that look like j G
                              written in pencil but this could be the framers name.. it looks like Fauguhersons work but I cannot find a painting of this scene by him.
                              Can anyone help?
                              Attached Files

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X