Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artist J Harvey

I have had an oil painting for 24 years signed by J Harvey of two old ships battling it out. I wonder if anyone can tell me anything about J Harvey. I bought the painting at an art exhibition in Greenock in 1987. And have just got round to try and find something out about the artist and what it might be worth. The painting is 67 x57 cm including frame.

William

I've no idea if this will help, but the UK 1911 has four entries for people with survey Harvey, occupation artist, including:
    Herbert Johnson Harvey born 1884 Hammersmith, living Kensington,London
    and
    John Harvey born 1880 Riga, Russia living Westminster, London

Comment

There is a painting by J.Harvey at Denhams auction site, titled 'Study of Two Three Masted Ships'. The auction is a bit outdated. Estimated value ?20 - 30. No.598

http://www.denhams.com/auction-catal...ntings?page=0&

There is a Captain John Harvey (9 July 1740 ? 30 June 1794) with a son by the same name.
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ha...avy_officer%29

Comment

I also have been searching for information on J Harvey.That is what lead me to this sight.My painting is also a oil painting of two ships in a battle.I visited the sight mentioned above and it is the same artist.My painting is 12"x16" signed in red paint.I am interested in any more information on my painting and of course the value.

Comment

My Mother has an oil painting by J Harvey of the yacht Keriki, an 18 footer sailing on Sydney Harbour in the 1920's. My late father sailed on it then. It is about 27cm x 22cm.
          I understand the artist was a local of Sydney at that time.

Comment

2 ships ingaged in battle

I just left a trift store about an hour ago that had a painting signed j. harvey in red with the same ships battling. Size I am guessing to be 30x24. their was also a painting signed in red by someone name joyce of a single ship sailing in an identical frame. I looked at the back of both canvas and both appeared to be new.

Comment

i too have been trying to find out about the artist of a oil painting i have signed J Harvey and it too dipicts two large ships in battle. It is not tittled or dated but the frame apears to be quite modern. I would love to know more about the artist.

Comment

I also have a simmlar painting. It is of a British and French warships batteling an the British slowley sinking. It has a shap of a trangle in middle of 3 cannon ball splashes. I would love to learn more.

Comment

J Harvey

I, too, have one of these similar paintings, signed in red. The quality of the work is excellent but he must have been churning them out by the cartload! I actually bought it for the frame but i won't be stripping it down now!
                  www.sue-young-art.co.uk

Comment

j harvey painying

Originally posted by ALEX MILLER
                    I also have been searching for information on J Harvey.That is what lead me to this sight.My painting is also a oil painting of two ships in a battle.I visited the sight mentioned above and it is the same artist.My painting is 12"x16" signed in red paint.I am interested in any more information on my painting and of course the value.
                    I to have a painting by J Harvey,3' x 2' signed in red.Dont know the value or the painter i am afraid.But would like to know more.

Comment

i also have a painting of the 2 ships in battle its in a frame about 4ft x 3ft i bought it in 1995 when i was landlord of the pilot boat inn on the iow but got no idea of its value

Comment

J.Harvey paintings

We have one of these pictures at my place of work in the hallway.The most interesting thing about it is that the two ships are sailing in opposite directions,yet each has the wind coming from its behind.

Comment

Herbert Johnson Harvey

The artist was a great friend of my grandfather, who is the subject of one of his works. I remember growing up in the house full of works of art by Harvey and am trying to find out more about pieces still in the family.

Comment

I have the battling ships by J Harvey (not signed in red, but white), I have had this picture for about 35 years, and bought it from an art student who came to my door, allegedly her picture, but I now wonder I paid ?25. I don't care though cos I love the painting, and I suspect the frame which I had made especially is worth more lol

Comment

fighting ships

I also have an oil painting hanging on my wall of two ships in battle. It is about 18" x 22" and the signature J.Harvey is in white. The smaller ship is on the left side and behind the larger ship.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X