Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    I have a J. Harvey (in red) oil that's an old west winter town scene?? Same guy as the sea scapes?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have a signed J. Harvey in red oil painting 8x10 small but it has such great color and detail of two ships battling. definitely an original on canvas. Bought it at an estate sale here in florida for only $2. but no matter the value I love it. seems like they would of checked it out before they sold it but who knows. some families dont have a clue and dont care just want to make a buck.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hello,

There had been too many similar paintings around the world and all of these are made as printed reproductions in oil. In China they make oil reproductions, hand signed, of different popular motifs and also some famous artist. Baroque dead nature, landscapes etc.
    They are in oil but not painted only printed. Not always easy to notice the difference because they print texture as well. I have some of these (baroque flowers) and they are quite nice as decoration, and have beautiful large gilded frames. I bought them just for those frames, because they are worth way more then all those paintings.
    Sometimes after printing they apply oil paint by hand to cover some printed areas. Signature is also sometimes printed and sometimes written by hand. They use different names, always difficult to find anything about the painter. Some are printed on cardboard. Everything is OK if you are aware of it and you pay small price, but sometimes those paintings can be sold in galleries where you can pay way more believing that someone really painted it.
    For example large painting of ship in gilded frame (50x70cm) costs around 50 euro here in Croatia. If you consider the cost of canvas, oil paint and a large gilded frame...it' s definitely worth it.
    But there are also real artist that paint different motifs for small amounts just to survive and sell something to tourists.
    We all know that only some artists manage to live from their work.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by JHarvey45 View Post
    Herbert Johnson Harvey born 1884

I am the grandson of the painter Herbert Johnson Harvey born 1884. He was a member of the Birmingham school and painted mainly portraits but could also turn his hand to repousee and engraving. If you are interested I have set up a website of my grand father's engravings- http://jharvey18.moonfruit.com/#
    I am not aware that he painted sea battles/ seascapes. His father John Rabone Harvey was also a painter, and as far as I know, painted landscapes. Please don't hesitate to contact me if you would like any further information
    Jonathan Harvey
    Hello,
    There had been too many similar paintings around the world and all of these are made as printed reproductions in oil. In China they make oil reproductions, hand signed, of different popular motifs and also some famous artist. Baroque dead nature, landscapes etc.
    They are in oil but not painted only printed. Not always easy to notice the difference because they print texture as well. I have some of these (baroque flowers) and they are quite nice as decoration, and have beautiful large gilded frames. I bought them just for those frames, because they are worth way more then all those paintings.
    Sometimes after printing they apply oil paint by hand to cover some printed areas. Signature is also sometimes printed and sometimes written by hand. They use different names, always difficult to find anything about the painter. Some are printed on cardboard. Everything is OK if you are aware of it and you pay small price, but sometimes those paintings can be sold in galleries where you can pay way more believing that someone really painted it.
    For example large painting of ship in gilded frame (50x70cm) costs around 50 euro here in Croatia. If you consider the cost of canvas, oil paint and a large gilded frame...it' s definitely worth it.
    But there are also real artist that paint different motifs for small amounts just to survive and sell something to tourists.
    We all know that only some artists manage to live from their work.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I have an oil painting of J Harvey that my late husband and I saw in a small bar restaurant in Oxfordshire of warship and we both just loved it my husband was ex Royal Navy and we just had to have it beautiful

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Guest View Post
    Can I see your paint's?
    ive got this painting. can you maybe tell me anything about it

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Have 2 paintings of This artist Both signed j.harvey Color of the signatures White/silver.
    bought these paintings in a sale event in a hotel in Maastricht Netherlands in the early nignthies.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I also have a painting of two battle ships fighting the painting is only in greyish blue and white and signed j Harvey in white my name is r Harvey and my brother is jim Harvey but he didn't paint it

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I bought a painting by J. Harvey in 1982 depicting 2 galleons. Would like more info on the artist. I wondered if it was painting by an artist I was at school with in Edinburgh called John Harvey, which is why I bought it.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I picked up one of these a few years ago as part of a lot in an auction in London. Am convinced it's mass produced from China. Only China has the manufacturing culture and global market for this kind of thing that would explain the sheer volume of pictures and the spread of locations they have been turning up in. Having said that, it is a nicely produced oil, or possibly acrylic, painting and it looks good on my wall. I agree with #88. It would be nice to know who the real artist is and for them to get recognition. Can't seem to upload a picture, sorry

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    OK. I have one as well. Just like these only... different. I bought mine in 2004 in Scottsdale Arizona, where I was told it was painted by a "local artist" as well. Funny. He is a mystery. Have you tried turning the painting and viewing it with "fresh eyes"? It's transformations are amazing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Got J. Harvey in red, very nice and it looks very old antique and expensive

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Just the name Harvey nothing else

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Artists signed Harvey

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    there is another john harvey who paints in watercolour landscapes in kent

Leave a comment:

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X