Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help to identify this painting

Hi, I have a painting of a young girl holding a letter and a bunch of flowers. I believe the painting is dated 1889. I would like to know who painted the painting adn any history behind it. The artists signature is on the painting but I cannot read it. It appears to be three letters stacked on each other.

I have attached a copy of the picture.
    Attached Files

Do you have a close-up of the signature visible at the lower right? What's that writing in white at the lower left?

Comment

hi,

the picture i have added is just a print of the original oil painting i own. the signature is three letters on top of each other but it is difficult to make out what they are. one of the letters looks like a C or a G and then the other two letters are inside that letter.. sorry i cant supply any other info.

Comment

Well I did succeed in finding the original scan of the painting here:
        http://www.grandmas-attic.com/children7.html

There are some artists named at the top of that page, e.g. Charles Burton Barber. I would try investigating them, if you haven't done so already.

Comment

update

hi,

I have checked the suggested website without any luck. does anybody have any other ideas.

thanks

Comment

This is Charles Trevor Garland [British 1855-1906]

http://iamachild.wordpress.com/2010/...-1906-english/

http://www.artinfo.com/artists/upcom...revor-garland/

Comment

thanks

thanks for your help.

Comment

Girl holding flowers and letter

I have the same picture and was wondering the same thing. Everyone is scared of the picture and does not want me to hang it up. If you look close at the picture no matter where you are standing her face and eyes follow you. My brother bought it for me several years ago because he thought it looked like my oldest daughter when she was little.

Comment

Same picture

Thanks as my question was just answered ,just couldn't put the 3 letter in the right order

Comment

painting of ghost girl

I have the same picture.There was rumors saying she is a ghost. She is holding the letter and flowers for her dad who she thought was getting back from the civil war. Her dad was killed and there house was torched down.

Comment

Charles Trevor Garland was only ten years old when the civil war ended and was based in London England. He was very well known for depicting scenes of everyday life. The painting is entitled 'Love Letters', the young girl is smiling and looks to me as though she just received the flowers from her childhood sweetheart.

Comment

I believe that picture is of my wifes grandmother,My father inlaw had the original oil but unfortunately it was destroyed,My father in law was Frank Taylor and he was from England,the mother and son came to Canada in the early 1900,s,the father stayed on in England and joined the family in Toronto a few years later,Fran k Taylor was born in 1898

Comment

The painting is NOT about the civil war as the painter, Charles Trevor Garland, was British and ten when the war ended. The 'original' everyone is declaring are actually copies. Many were done at the time. The painting painted mostly children and pets. The only 'haunted' one is at the Driskill Hotel which is a historic building in downtown Austin, Texas, USA. There was a US Senator that stayed with his family. His young daughter died in an accident there and attached herself to the painting. The Hotel is haunted with many different ghosts.
                          http://archive.randi.org/site/index....ill-hotel.html

Comment

Is there any value to this prlnt.

Comment

Yes, the artist name is Charles Trevor garland, it was painted between 1855-1906. I'm not sure what the name of the painting is but there is a rendition of it called "Love Letters" that hangs in the driskill hotel in Austin Texas. I too had this painting in my house as a child but over the years it became a distant memory. I wish I still had it be used it's a lovely painting.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X