Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is there a painter with the name of Gibson?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there a painter with the name of Gibson?

I bought a painting at a thrift store today, and it is an oil painting on stretched canvas I believe. It looks to be fairly old, but I'm not sure how old. I can tell it is a real painting, and definitely not a print.

The signature says Gibson. It is a landscape, in the autumn, with a tree, and a mountain in the background. I know nothing about art, so I was wondering if there are any well-known artists by that last name.

Also, I got a very old framed print of a portrait of a woman, and the back says "Franklin Picture company".

How would I go about identifying either of these?

Thanks!

You can try uploading them here, but if it's a thrift store painting there is only a slight chance anyone will recognize the artist. Click "Post Reply" below left and use the paperclip icon for attachments.

Comment

I have added the pics of both the painting and the print. I found another painting online, that goodwill.com is selling. It looks to be by the same artist, as the signature "Gibson" looks the same. It is another landscape painting.

Thanks
      Attached Files

Comment

The print may be a work by Jean-Baptiste Greuze.

Comment

same question

I too found a painting at the thrift store by the same artist...Gibson.
          It's a beautiful mountain scene...trees in front and a snow capped mountain in the background....really beautiful in my humble opinion and I'm just excited as heck about finding it....any idea who the artist is?
          Thank You

Comment

Print is Greuze Young Girl with Rose

John is indeed correct. Your print is of Jean-Baptiste Greuze's painting, Young Girl with a Rose. It resides at the Musee Cognacq-Jay in Paris.

Comment

I too have an oil painting with the signature 'Gibson' and it looks identical to the signature you have posted. It also sounds like a similar painting to the unidentified person who posted here.....snow capped mountains, lake, trees and an old cabin. Very pretty. I bought it about 40 years ago.

Comment

Gibson

Mommloma.... I bought mine in El Cajon Ca. AmVets....They look to be by the same artist. Can't post a picture of it as it's hanging on our cabin wall in the Sierra.

Comment

Originally posted by mommalama
                  I have added the pics of both the painting and the print. I found another painting online, that goodwill.com is selling. It looks to be by the same artist, as the signature "Gibson" looks the same. It is another landscape painting.

Thanks
                  I just found this site. I have purchased a beautiful oil painting from Good Will in St. Louis, Mo. with a signature of Gibson that looks just like the signature you have. It is a snowcovered mountain scene in background with a cabin and pine trees beside a nice peaceful lake. The date on the back of the frame is penciled 82, saying pecan (possibly meaning the frame)

Did you find out anything further about your painting? Thank you for any help.

Rosie
                  danrosieking@gmail.com

Comment

Oil Painting by Gibson?

I just purchased an oil painting by Gibson. The scene is a snow covered mountain background with a quiet lake with a cabin and pine trees nearby. Can anyone tell me anything about it? It has a date written in pen on back side of canvas '82.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I also found a painting by Gibson of a snow covered mountain scene with cabin beside quiet lake with pine trees. Would like to know what you found out about your painting. I tried to post a picture of mine in a question box, don't know if it made it to the right destination or not. Don't know how to attach it here. I love my painting too.

Comment

I merged the new thread into this one so that the information is all in one place. The picture you posted is above.

Comment

Gibson oil painting

I too have two paintings by the same artist called Gibson, it was
                          Purchased by my father over 40 years ago and was said to
                          Be already very old at that time.

Comment

Gibson Mountain

I bought a nice picture as described by others 20 miles from Sacramento CA at an estate sale. There is no cabin and there is land separating the front pond from the big lake off in the distance. My earlier research found a Gibson that did watercolors earlier in the century, who later switched to oil for a little while.

Comment

So, did anyone ever find out who this Gibson person is? I have one that also, but it is labeled R. Gibson. I don't know if that helps anyone at all.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X