Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to Value a Painting by California artist Anthony Quartuccio

I recently purchased a large oil on canvas by California artist Anthony Quartuccio. Quartuccio, who came to America at age 7 (1922), and died in 2011, was famed for his paintings of California and the west. The few published auction house records I could find indicated a decent range for his California artwork, but the one I found is a very different painting. This one, entitled Sicilian Spring, is of his homeland, and shows a broad landscape bordering a bay, with a smoking Mt. Etna in the background. Apparently, he did very few paintings of scenes outside of California, which leads to my question about this painting. It is approximately 2 feet by 3 feet, nicely framed, clearly signed and with additional information written by the artist on the stretchers. My problem is I have been unable to find any of his paintings of Italy. I know that sometimes when an artist goes "off his turf", the value drops, because that's not what people expect. Other times, the value goes up for the same reason. Anyway, I would greatly appreciate any thoughts as to where I might search for other references for sold paintings by this artist. I could (and perhaps will) go the appraisal route, but would like to do some more legwork myself first. So thanks in advance for any and all ideas.
    Attached Files

I have 5 of Tony's paintings, one of the Bay of Naples and one of Venice. Two were mountain scenes of California and one a flower in vase -he said I will have a one of a kind for his topics. Tony worked for me during the late 60's and early 70's while I worked at NASA Ames Research in Mountain View. The last time I had contact with him was just prior to his death. At that time his widow still lived in Paso Robles, CA. I also have a calendar he did for Orchard Supply in San Jose.

John Wedekind

Comment

John -- Thanks for the information. As I'm trying to downsize my collection a bit, if you know of anyone who might be interested in this painting, I'd appreciate your letting me know (I live east of Sacramento, up in the foothills). Many thanks.

Comment

Having lived in California some time ago, I also own two of Quartuccio's paintings. One is a small 10 x 12 of "High Peak" and the other one, stored away somewhere, is of some observatory, with a starry night sky. Based on what I am reading above, he is not a collected artist. Or is he? -Scott

Comment

Do you still have the painting, and can you tell me where the scene is located?

- beth

Comment

Beth -- Yes, I do still have the painting, and it is in nice condition (although a light cleaning would further enhance its appearance). As to where the scene is specifically, all I have to go on is what's written on the stretchers: "Mt. Etna -- Sicily -- Sicilian Spring. Quartuccio" and a date, which appears to be "75". Sorry I can't be more specific than that.

Comment

We have a quuartuccio '91 titled The Loading Chute.

Comment

I also have a piece of the cliffs at past Robles

Comment

I have 2 paintings he did on cardboard in 1939, he drew then for my mom....one is signed by him.....my mom went to school with him. I would like to know what those are worth

Comment

My dad is moving so I “inherited” 6 Quartuccio paintings from him. 5 “Rabes Barn” pictures in various seasons ( 4 - 5x7 from 1970, 1 - ~18x24) and one of “Red Barn” (5x7 from 1970)

My dad worked with him at NASA Moffett Field.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    x
                    Working...
                    X