Pastel by Joseph D Westerfield?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pastel by Joseph D Westerfield?

I found this at a thrift store and was very taken with the subject (though I couldn't decide if she creeped me out or fascinated me!). Couldn't pass it up for $3. I'm trying to learn more about the artist or perhaps even the painting itself, but I'm struggling - can't seem to find any information about it anywhere. And there doesn't seem to be much out there about the artist, either... Any help would be much appreciated!

Attached Files

You won't find anything about one individual original portrait unless it's been shown publicly or sold at an art auction or something like that. There is a little info about the artist online. Just in case you didn't stumble upon these links, here's a bit of info about him and also a newspaper article from Rome (Georgia).

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...2170848AA4Tfuf

http://news.google.com/newspapers?ni...,3376786&hl=en

Comment

Thank you! I'm not really in the 'art world' but I'm trying to learn. Slowly. As I amass a random collection of art from thrift stores.

Comment

Thank you! I accidentally posted a response as a guest... Forgot to log in. Oops!

Comment

I always try to buy works that are by a known artist. Even if it doesn't help the resale value of the painting at all, it adds to much to one's understanding and appreciation of the work.

Comment

This is my grandfathers art!! So cool to see someone bought it

Comment

Is there anyway to contact you about the painting. Id love to see it. We have recently discovered that Joseph is our biological great grandfather and has many more beautiful painting in gallerys and personal collections. If you can please contact me via my facebook. Sara Elizabeth Puckett (pegg) thanks so much!

Comment

Joseph D. Westerfield came to Harrisburg, PA in 1964. My parents had met him at a party in NYC and invited him to stay with us while he painted our portraits. He did individual portraits of our entire family--five children and both parents. He also painted relatives and friends. He stayed in an empty house my parents owned next door and stayed for a year. He was married to a lovely woman named Priscilla, although I believe they later divorced. All of the paintings he did of my family still hang on the walls of our family home, in which my 92 year old mother still lives. He was quite a character. Women in town fawned all over him.

Comment

I have this lovely pastel portrait by Joseph Donnell Westerfield. It is dated 1960.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Im so terrible at the internet. i am so happy to hear you have met him and knew him so close! I would love to hear more about him and chat with you! If you could contact me via text (i work alot) at 313-721-5181 that would be amazing! Id love to try and know as much as i can about him and his work. I have a beautiful mindful connection with him and his writtings and his work.

Thanks much again!
                    (His great great grand daughter.)
                    sara

Comment

Hi there Sara
                      This is Anaelisa,
                      Priscilla and Joseph's daughter
                      Please let me know if you would like me to contact you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      x
                      Working...
                      X