Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Painting Sampans at Sunset value of original

I have what I do believe to be the original oil painting called "Sampans at Sunset" painted by Gorman Woody in 1965. It is a large oil painting 48" x 24" on canvas. I sent it to an online art apprasier (included pictures of painting both close up and distant and pictures of back of painting and the signature). The apprasier stated that in her opinion it looks to be the original and she doesn't think that it is a reproduction because of the detail and the fact that the artist is not very well known in the art comminity so there would not have been much interest in reproductions. She valued the painting at $1200.00. I though that this might be low since the artist is no longer alive (died in 2000). Does anyone know what the true value of this painting is? Also if any one is interested in purchasing this painting I would sell it if he offer was reasonable (would send pictures of art apprasiers comments along with pictures of painting both front and back and the signature) Thanks.

Sampans at Sunset

I too have a very large painting, an original in that it is painted by hand, that looks basically the same as simularly titled and signed paintings by Woody 65. I am guessing that Gorman Woody painted several very similar pieces and gave them all the same title. Of course there could be other, less desireable explanations.... I have seen about the same value given to other originals of the sampans at sunset painting. I would love to know more about this myself as there is definatly some confusion out there even among dealers.

Comment

Sampans at Sunset

We have a large print (don't believe it is a painting) 53 X 29 1/2 of Sampans at Sunset. On the lower right corner is says Woody 65. There is also a brass plate on the front with the name of the print Sampans at sunset. On the back there is a label stating Crest-Art Manufactures of fine wall D?cor. There is a number then the name of the print. I have attached some pictures. Any value to this? Click image for larger version

Name:	Sampans by Sunset.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	208.4 KB
ID:	42594

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sampans by Sunset front.jpg
Size:	180.4 KB
ID:	42595

Name:	Sampans by Sunset sig.jpg
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	42596

Name:	Sampans by Sunset back.jpg
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	42597

Comment

I have the same painting woody 65
        sampans at sunset and was wondering
        The price on ut

Comment

Hello that photo is more then one out here so it must not be of value.

Comment

So is it something to keep are should have it appraised.

Comment

Hello no response so that tells me nothing from nothing is worth nothing.

Comment

There seem to be numerous identical versions of this painting out there, suggesting that it's a reproduction printed in such a way as to look like an original painting, or else it's being copied extremely meticulously. Probably the former. In any case it might be worth something, but I don't know if it would be worth paying an appraiser for an opinion on this.

Comment

I also have a copy that we bought at a 'starving artist" sale.

Comment

I also have a copy .

Comment

How do you determine if the painting is the original or copy?

Comment

I have same picture how do I send and were TO to tell me more info

Comment

I have the same painting I want to sell who do I contact

Comment

Mine has renewed frame maybe and paper tore a bit. There is a painting showing. Husband said leave it.

Comment

Had the painting for a long time

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X