Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• German Expressionist portraits or?

I believe these date to the 1930s. Both need some restoration, personally I like the redheaded lady as is. The other with the lady sitting has had some pencil lines drawn all around the piece. The large HEFNER 32 IL - 2 (above and to the side of her head) I am not sure if it is a signature or something else all together. Other than Hefner on the verso painting I can not find any other signature. They were purchased from a seller in New York city a few years back. Any help with the artist or where I might look for more info would be appreciated.
    One more thing, there is a small oval brass tag (heavy patina) with the number 368862. No idea what it is for, but it is located on the back of frame. The paintig measures 24" x 30" frame not included. The support appears to be masonite and, the frame appears to be original. Thank you.
    Attached Files

Could be the artist Ilse Hefner. My mother was painted by her when a teenager which would be 1950 ish and the style is the same. I am trying to find out which part of America she and her son Tomas or Thomas fled from the Nazis to.

Comment

Thank you for your comment. The spelling of the last names are different with this one being Hefner and for Ilse it is Hafner - Mode.

Comment

Looks like a signature on the lower left. The A. Hefner may be the sitter. Jorns...Johns or something similar. Not sure if there is a couple additional letters at the end or a date.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sig.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	102596
        Last edited by Eirene; June 16th, 2019, 11:04 PM.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
        Auto-Saved
        Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
        x
        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
        x
        x
        Working...
        X