How to find a painting without knowing artists name

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to find a painting without knowing artists name

I'd like to try to find a painting that I found several years ago. I'd like to describe it in hopes that someone could help me identify the artist, era, etc.

The painting was of two young children - a boy and a girl - sitting at a wooden table on stools. The girl was eating from a bowl and the boy was laughing and falling off his stool as several geese paraded into the (kitchen?) thru an open door (half-door perhaps). The geese were probably honking as they made their way through the room.

I would guess that this was a farm kitchen the children were sitting in. Perhaps as found in a farmhouse. European kind of living in the 1800s I'd guess.

It was a lovely painting. The children were beautiful. Blondish hair, fair skin, around the ages of 6 or 8 would be my guess.

I hope someone out there could offer any kind of information.

I thank you in advance.

Elizabeth Moyers

A Painting That was Sold on the old Jim and Tammy Faye Banker Show PTL GOD,S HANDS COMING OUT OF THE CLOUDS HOLDING THE EARTH.

Comment

I am looking for a painting that my mother had in our house when I was pre-teen (back in the mid 60's). I don't know the artist or the period... My description is that it was a woman and a young girl having tea either in a garden or on a patio... there might have even been some water in the background... They were dressed in their Sunday bests with hats and gloves as well as dresses.

Comment

Hoping to find this painting or at least identify it. It's a painting of Wall Street in NYC where the roadway is a golf fairway. Please help! Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
          Hoping to find this painting or at least identify it. It's a painting of Wall Street in NYC where the roadway is a golf fairway. Please help! Thanks!
          No.17 Wall Street Golf & Cricket Club by Loyal H. Chapman - http://www.infamous18.com/catalog17.html

Comment

Hi, I'm trying to locate the name / artist of a painting. It's a man running toward a cityscape, very dark / ominous colors. Many thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction!

Comment

I'm trying to find a painting that I first saw in the 1980s; I believe the artist's first name is John or like it. The painting has a young girl in a library; she is writing (maybe a quill) with gold energy going from her writing up into a swirl above her head and out through a window into the night. The energy has things from the story like a sailing ship. Does this sound familiar?

Comment

Originally posted by ekblackwell View Post
                I'm trying to find a painting that I first saw in the 1980s; I believe the artist's first name is John or like it. The painting has a young girl in a library; she is writing (maybe a quill) with gold energy going from her writing up into a swirl above her head and out through a window into the night. The energy has things from the story like a sailing ship. Does this sound familiar?
                Perhaps Magical Daydreams of Christmas - attributed to Honor C. Appleton - Illustrator of children's books 1879 - 1951 http://www.artnet.com/artists/honor-...xvjZtOXfFK1HQ2

Edit: Missed the part of the the swirl going into the night. Dickens in his study came to mind at first...with his stories up in the air. Something more modern I think.
                Last edited by Eirene; May 25th, 2018, 12:16 AM.

Comment

I seem to recall a painting similar to this showing a famous author at work, with his characters appearing all about him as he writes them into life. I can't find it as I can't remember the author involved. I tried a few reasonable guesses without success. There is a vaguely similar painting of Dickens, but this in not the work I have in mind.

Comment

... I might be thinking of this Hans Christian Andersen painting, but I'm not sure. Either way I am not describing a painting with a little girl in it.

https://fineartamerica.com/featured/...johnstone.html

Comment

We had a thread regarding the Hans Christian Anderson painting. I was thinking that this one with the girl in the library is an illustration from a children's book. Thought perhaps by Arthur Rakham or one of the twins Anne or Janet Grahame Johnstone. No joy there. https://www.artconversation.com/foru...metal-etchings

Comment

Originally posted by Eirene View Post

Perhaps Magical Daydreams of Christmas - attributed to Honor C. Appleton - Illustrator of children's books 1879 - 1951 http://www.artnet.com/artists/honor-...xvjZtOXfFK1HQ2

Edit: Missed the part of the the swirl going into the night. Dickens in his study came to mind at first...with his stories up in the air. Something more modern I think.
                        That's not it, but it's very nice.

Comment

I am looking for a painting that was described to me but I have never seen. It is of a boy sitting on steps maybe in front of a house. He is spilling his drink and holding a hotdog in the other hand which his dog is trying to eat. I would love to see this painting and know its name if possible.
                          Thank you.

Comment

I am looking for a painting that was on Cityline on May 17 around 9:40 am.
                            nancy

Comment

I think we need more information on that one.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              x
                              Working...
                              X