Please help me identify if painted by hanfstaengl

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me identify if painted by hanfstaengl

I have this painting. The painting has obvious brush strokes and is an authentic painting. The frame says its from a gallery in Austria. I tried to research this painting and the artist hanfstaengl comes up. The upper left of the painting says Sir Joshua Reynolds Pinx. And the right says Verlag S.Lebel (could be wrong about the S) wien which is Vienna? From my understanding, there are some prints online but not paintings. Unfortunately, i touched the surface of the painting with a tissue and a little paint came off; minimal damage. I have included a link to this painting print; it says Lady Betty Compton', c1780.Artist: Hanfstaengel

It also says this is a rights managed illustration which leads me to believe that this Painting is authentic in every genuine way. Please take a look at my pictures of my painting; please tell me if the print from the link originated from my painting. Has Hanfstaengl painted this?? This mystery goes on
    Attached Files

Also, I noticed another one other print of this painting that says that the painting is by Sir Joshua Reynolds

Comment

I believe it was painted by Sir Joshua Reynolds because the painting carries the word Pinx at the upper left to the right of his name.

Comment

This painting is on stock board and thick but very fraile. Its not a print

Comment

I'm not an expert and just have time to do a little research, but Franz Hanfstaengel seems to have been only a lithographer (printmaker), and not a painter of the talent required to paint this.

The phrase "aquarelle facsimile" makes me think that this is a print made using some kind of process that reproduces brushstrokes and makes it appear to be an original painting. Also the phrase "rights managed" sounds very 20th century, not a term which would have been used during Hanfstaengel's lifetime when there was not even a copyright convention in place.

This eBay listing of a Nattier print has some of the same terminology, although I can't explain what it all means.
          http://www.ebay.at/itm/112263317322?...185&rmvSB=true

Comment

Although the nattier looks similiar, the nattier is a sheet and a print but with all due respect a print and not painted. I believe what I have here could be the artwork before printings. The Joshua Reynolds is on thick stockboard. I know of the nattier and a couple others from the same publisher but one also gives the option for the print to be rolled in a mailing tube. What I have is on a board. Could this in fact be the artwork before printings? Could Joshua Reynolds have painted for a publication to reproduce this painting? The word (Pinx) means it came from Sir Reynolds and appears to be from the era. The stockboard is very fragile

Comment

Also, "aquarell"facsimile is watercolor reproduction. If you look up Joshua Reynold's painting: Lady Betty Compton, you see a different looking Betty, although Sir Reynolds may have chosen to make a reproduction watercolor of Betty Compton and wanted it publicised.

Comment

"Rights Managed" is just from a site that has reproductions of this painting; which just means it has copyright laws.

Comment

Came up with the same info as John. The Verlag means reference I believe. There is a Solange Lebel Gallery in Quebec...although that does not fit with Vienna. Reference someone named S. Lebel in Vienna. A watercolour copy of the original.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Franz_Hanfstaengl

Comment

Verlag means publisher and S.Lebel is the publisher. Wien means vienna, so published by S.lebel in vienna Austria

Comment

I actually dont think hanfstaengl painted it but Joshua Reynolds perhaps

Comment

Can't find any reference to a S. Lebel publisher. I don't quite understand this. If you believe it to be an original painting why would it contain the information that it was published? The key word is facsimile.

Comment

It seems Joshua Reynolds painted the original in the 1700s, before there was any art publishing and if you wanted a copy of a painting you had to pay an artist to sit in front of the original and repaint it.

Then in the 1800s Franz Hanfstaengl made a monochrome engraving of this painting.

What you appear to have is a colorized version of this print, either hand-colored by an artist (either Hanfstaengl or someone else) or mechanically printed so as to appear to be hand-painted. Because Lebel is a publishing company who have produced other color prints, I tend to think it's the latter, but I'm not an expert on painting or publishing, so I certainly couldn't say for sure.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X