Francoise Gilot... Brings Up a Couple of Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Francoise Gilot... Brings Up a Couple of Questions

I recently posted this photo of what I assumed was not a lithograph by Gilot, but have recently had cause to reconsider, which brings up a couple of questions. First, the reliability of auction sites. Here's a link to another lithograph, signed in the same hand as mine, which sold for more than $1,000 (https://www.ebth.com/items/1495045-s...rancoise-gilot). I'm admittedly unfamiliar with this site, but my assumption is that the site would not have identified it as such, nor would buyers have plunked down that amount of money without some certainty that the piece was legitimate. The question, then, is how other members of this forum decide on sources of trustworthy information on such things as the artist's signature? Obviously, sources like Christie's, et al, would be reliable, but then how does one sift through the abundance of internet sites beyond the major houses?

Second question relates to the artist herself. I've been trying to find this image on line, with no success. Is anyone aware of an online resource that might house a collection of her prints? I know she is prolific and (last I heard) still working, so the output would be significant, but I'd appreciate any insights into where I might search for online catalogs of her art. As always, my sincere thanks in advance.
    Attached Files

The artist is still alive and the images of her work are protected by French copyright law. But your piece does not look like a lithograph, it has quite a lot of texture and is shiny.
    Can you post a larger picture showing all the signature and title area and maybe also a close up of an area to see the texture. Also what is the support medium? Paper, Cardboard, Canvas?

Comment

Louis14 -- Thanks for the interest. I've attached a few more photos to show texture, and a closeup of the signature (it came out a tad blurry, I'm afraid. Will try for a better one when the lighting gets better). The support medium seems to be a medium-weight paper, no visible watermark. Appreciate any thoughts.
      Attached Files

Comment

There is a title bottom left, can we see it please? Also is the signature in pencil, does it show shining graphite specks? Or does the signature look printed? What is the provenance of this piece, where did you get it

Comment

It's actually not a title, but a print run number (207/350). And yes, a closeup look at the signature seems to indicate it was done with a pencil, and not as part of the printing process. As for provenance, I have none. This was purchased as part of an art sale benefiting a local hospice organization.

Comment

I found this in Google's reverse image search, and the website it was on identifies the artist as Jean-Claude Picot. I can't vouch for the attribution, and the name of the work isn't listed so it's hard to verify, but that's what it says. This lithograph is quite consistent with Picot's other works.

https://www.popscreen.com/prod/MTU2M...N-CLAUDE-PICOT

Comment

I think John has nailed it with Jean-Claude Picot !

Comment

Louis14 and John. Thanks for clearing things up. Much appreciated.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                Auto-Saved
                Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                x
                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                x
                x
                Working...
                X