Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whippo artist information

Does anyone know anything about an artist who signed his/her works "Whippo?" I have two paintings that appear to be from the 1960s.

Did you ever find out the answer to this question? My family has two original Whippo paintings. They are beautiful but I can't find out any information on the artist...

Comment

Walt Whippo wrote Little White Duck was an engineer and from Florida he was also an artist

Comment

Hi, The artist is named Walt Whippo and he lived in Coco Florida. He was not only an artist but wrote the Childrens book Little White Duck I have an article from the 1970's about him. I have a painting by him that is stunning!

Comment

I tried to post earlier on this in case someone else looks for information on the artist Whippo. I have a Whippo painting that is beautiful and was able to get the information about the artist when I acquired it. The artist name is Walt Whippo, he is the creator of the 1950s well known children's song "Little White Duck" He also was a Marine, Engineer, Artist, songwriter and holds numerous patents. He is the creator of the IMB Selectromatic Typewriter. From an article I found online about his art it states: Although his art work still reflects the mathematical control and precision of an engineer, there is a beautiful peacefulness in these new ethereal and wispy appearing water scenes and landscapes. A common theme is a lonely wild goose sailing off into the mist. The paintings are done in a special acrylic spray technique developed by Whippo and are washable and permanent.

He lived in many places but Cocoa Beach Florida when he began his painting it appears. His paintings appear to have been done in the late 60's and 1970's era. He even had paintings on display in Geneva at the Swedish Days Festival and were sold by Mr and Mrs Ross Stone managers of the Sweden House restaurant.

I hope this helps someone)
          Attached Files

Comment

I also have a painting by Whippo. It is of a Wood Thrush, no. 14/100. Thanks for the background information.

Comment

I also have an painting of Walt Whippo I lived in Cocoa Beach Fla from 1960 -1964. I met him in Cocoa Beach and talked to him for awhile. He told me he had a Gallery in New York that was just opening. The air brus painting was a new feature to the art world he told me. I would like to know if he is still alive and doing any art now. Judith McCain [email protected]

Comment

My wife and I just moved to a new home and were looking for someplace to hang our 3 Whippo's. I decided to research his activities since I was last in contact with him in 74 when I found this site and some information about his paintings. I worked with Walt in an engineering capacity from 1964-1969, this was while he worked for Victor Comptometer (shortly after his exit from IBM). He was indeed a renaissance man. As an artist, he worked doing photographic portraits, a children's storybook, scratchboard, stencils and of course airbrush canvas. As an engineer, he was involved with the IBM Selectric and a high speed printer (the 1965 version of high speed) for Victor.
                In order to document my paintings, I have taken several photos today of the paintings and scanned all 4 pages of Walt's "Brag Sheet" along with some personal communications between us.
                I hope to continue reading more in this space about someone I considered to be a good friend.

Comment

For those of you who are still interested in knowing about Walt, he is still alive and kicking, and as stubborn as ever. I love this guy with my whole heart. I was his neighbor in cocoa beach for several years and we have grown super close. He just had his 95th birthday this summer, just sold his CB home to one of his children, and still resides in the home rent and tax free! His sight and hearing are awful at best. However he doesnít allow this to hinder riding his self-made trike 2 miles every day. From being an artist to a rocket scientist, he says he might just figure out how to live forever! I sure hope so. Heís traveled the world and done many amazing things..and truly lived his life. To me, heís just Walt. And I love him for that.

Comment

I have a wonderful painting if his that was originally painted and sold in Chicago. Dated 1963, itís tall, with acrylic, pointillism like approach. I called in 2010 and found him in CB. We spoke and he remembered selling it to a couple, in Chicago. It was at their estate sell I bought it. Itís one of my favorite paintings I own. Always looking for more. Glad to hear heís still around.

Comment

My mother, now 97 says that Walt gave her this painting and she loves it greatly. It was fun for her to read the updates about his life on this site. Thank you.

Comment

Here's a '63 Whippo my grandparents owned. By chance does anybody know anything about this piece?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	102312

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2967.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	439.7 KB
ID:	102313

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        x
                        Working...
                        X