Please help me identify painting featured in the "Darkest Hour" movie trailer

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Please help me identify painting featured in the "Darkest Hour" movie trailer

Click image for larger version

Name:	i0sd98gfwmdz.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	78933

Looks like possibly a John Singer Sargent or a Thomas Lawrence, but I couldn't find its match online.

Comment

Did you ever find out about the painting? I am curious too. I have a painting that looks just like this in my home that my great grandmother painted. I never knew she had copied a great work and am very curious to find out more about this piece of art. Thank you.

Comment

HI: I am curious as well. I do not think a Sargeant, Was it Winston's

---Jake

Comment

Hi
          I would like to find out about this painting, because I once worked for a lord who owned a painting like this but it had 3 girls in it not two?

Comment

Looks like Winston's daughters Sarah and Mary. It would be in their private family collection I would think...not on display.

Comment

I don't really see any photos of his daughters that look similar to the girls this painting, but it seems plausible. I just read he had three daughters, so that might explain why there is a version with three girls.

Comment

I contacted Professor David Freeman at WinstonChurchill.org regarding this portrait. He in turn contacted the House and Collections Manager at Chartwell and was informed that no such portrait exists at the Churchill home and had no idea who the girls depicted could be. He suggested that I contact the Focus Features film company.

Over a week ago I contacted the FocusFeatures/DarkestHour site and also the set designer Katie Spencer via IMDB. So far no reply from either. Will update if and when I do.

Comment

Please let us know. I am very curious too.

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
                    Hi
                    I would like to find out about this painting, because I once worked for a lord who owned a painting like this but it had 3 girls in it not two?
                    I was doing a search for another painting and came upon a painting that reminded me of this thread. John Everett Millais - 'Sisters' a portrait of his daughters...Effie Mary and Alice I believe. There is a younger one Sophie. This is in a private collection....perhaps this is the one you are referring to. Never did hear back from anyone. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/F...ters,_1868.jpg

Comment

i was also wondering and cant find anything. but when i looked up paintings in this genre, i realized this painting reminds me of renoir’s paintings of two girls about this age, same coloring, and i think i dont know this painting from anywhere but was just thinking of renoir.

Comment

I think you will need to contact the set decorator for the film.

Comment

Could be a John Levery ?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          x
                          Working...
                          X