J.W. Gozzard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J.W. Gozzard

I have a print signed by J.W. Gozzard titled "The Approach of Night" published by Felix Rosenstied, London E.C. It is of several cottages with windmill and a man riding a horse and leading another one down a dirt road. There are two women and a child standing outside the cottages feeding some ducks. The frame is very old with square nails in the back. Does anyone know anthing they could tell me about this print?

James Walter Gozzard - 1888 - 1950

James Gozzard was born in 1888 and is known as a painter and illustrator in both oil and watercolour, principally of landscapes of the English countryside.

He was born in Lichfield, Staffordshire, and usually signed his work "J W Gozzard" (his middle name was Walter).

He became a prolific illustrator and his work was reproduced in a variety of formats, including postcards and art prints by Rosenstiels. Many of his paintings were published as prints, both in black-and-white and in colour, particularly in the years up until the First World War.

Gozzard also painted under the pseudonym "F Arnold" and the career he established as a published artist brought him some considerable success, partly as a result of his very precise and careful style, which made his work suitable for publishing in the days before advanced machinery and technology made almost any kind of reproduction possible.

Gozzards name today survives principally on the strength of his rural landscapes and moonlit scenes. He died in 1950.

http://www.felixr.com/print-on-deman...roach-of-night

The only vintage print I could locate is one on ebay for 39.00 - An Autumn Morning
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Prin...item20b8d3a78d

Comment

is there alisting of his work anywere?? meaning his painting's.............. be gr8full for the info.........thank's W.G.12

Comment

Originally posted by Guest View Post
        is there alisting of his work anywere?? meaning his painting's.............. be gr8full for the info.........thank's W.G.12
        I own one of those Village by Moonlight , came from my greatgrandfather. died 1928. Any value to this or do I leave it hanging on the wall ? *gustave papoocanada@gmail.com

Comment

I have a print, signed by the artist of three highland cattle standing in a lake or river with a hill on the left with another behind in a lilac colour. On the right there are five trees with silver trunks , and other trees behind these. Found in the top of my mum's wardrobe but glass and frame broken. Think it belonged to my dad's dad. The artist died the year I was born.

Comment

I have an original up for sale now on ebay. Titled A Cloudy Night

Comment

I have this exact same print with the windmill and the horseman and the ducks. It was a wedding gift to my grandparents with the date of 1917 penciled on the paper on the back. Unfortunately, the plaster corners of the ornate frame has been damaged. I plan to have it put into a new frame. I don't know what it's worth. Probably would be a lot more if it was an original painting. Still, it's a very attractive piece for our Victorian home.

Comment

I have print the approach of night - FR LONDON EC No 57 printed england. How many print were printed in this edition ?

Comment

Just read a bio online that said this artist thought to be born in 1888 but census shows 1862 and dies in 1939- so was this a father and son? Both are James Walter -????

Comment

J'ai un exemplaire deJ.W. Gozzard et un autre signé F. Arnold (en sachant que c'était le même artiste). Ces lithographies appartenaient aux grands-parents de mon époux. Comment savoir si ces objets valent quelque chose.

Comment

You can see some sample auction prices for J.W. Gozzard for free at these sites:
                      http://www.youvalyou.com/
                      http://www.findartinfo.com/

There are very few lithographs included, but you can see from the painting prices that a printed lithograph probably won't be worth a lot of money.

You can also see quite a few listings on eBay for J.W. Gozzard. Try to search in the "sold" listings so that you see the prices that buyers are actually willing to bid.

Comment

I can't confirm that Gozzard painted as F. Arnold, but I found this auction listing that connects "F. Arnold" to F. Arnault and Arnold Pienne. Perhaps they are all pseudonyms for Gozzard?

https://www.barnebys.fr/adjudication...th-early-20th/

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                        Auto-Saved
                        Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
                        x
                        Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                        x
                        x
                        Working...
                        X