Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Two lovely ladies. But who and by whom ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two lovely ladies. But who and by whom ?

This grisaille shows two lovely ladies, but who and by whom ? They look French or at least Western Europe to me. Middle of the 18th century, I'd suspect. Oil on canvas. 60 cm x 83 cm.
    Attached Files

This is after the painting Bacchus and Erigone by Francois Boucher. Google image search identified it as monochrome. I searched Boucher's works and located it. The original resides in the Wallace Collection in London. There is an engraving out there by Claude Augustin Duflos, He did a number of engravings after Boucher's work. Yours is not done by him.

https://artuk.org/discover/artworks/...erigone-209474

Comment

Thanks Eirene. I looked for this unsuccessfully in Google's reverse image search this afternoon. I think you're as effective a sleuth as Saintmarc.

Comment

Many thanks Eirene. That leaves the question: Who painted this grisaille ?

Comment

No idea. I could only locate the engraving no grisaille. Is that a tiny signature on the lower right? You would think that there would be a signature somewhere.

John: Thanks for the compliment. Sleuthing and research perhaps, I have done a lot of genealogy research over the years. I think saintmarc is an art expert though. He is certainly more knowledgeable than I will ever be. I hope that all is well with him...I haven't seen him post in some time. Pop in and say hello saintmarc.

As for locating the Boucher painting...I am somewhat familiar with his work, especially his mythological subjects and thought of him straight away.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
          Auto-Saved
          Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
          x
          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
          x
          x
          Working...
          X