More Engraving Questions -- Chicago River and Northwestern University

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Engraving Questions -- Chicago River and Northwestern University

More engravings, more questions. Have two engravings, each hand colored, each about 10 by 14. First engraving/first question: It's of Heck Hall, Northwestern University, from an engraving in Harper's, dated 1873. Is there any way of narrowing the date of this piece? I know the hand coloring is done later, I'm just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of the timing. Still late 1800s? Later? Just curious.

Second engraving, second question: This one is of Old West Water Street, on the Chicago River, dated 1865. I'm curious about printing at the bottom which reads "Courtesy Chicago Historical Society." I haven't been able to find the image on line, so haven't been able to find the engraver or the artist who created the original work. Curious about why the printing attributing it to the Historical Society. Does that mean this is a modern print, published by the Historical Society, or something else? (It certainly doesn't look to be a modern print).I have contacted the Society offices, but not heard back at this time. Any thoughts are welcome and appreciated.
    Attached Files
Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
Auto-Saved
Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
x
Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
x
x
Working...
X