Trying to identify American artist

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to identify American artist

I have an old oil portrait by an American artist that my wife bought at a yard sale some years ago. The seller found it in her attic when she moved in. Looking at the frame, I would say it was painted either late 1800s or early 1900s. There's an art suppliers label on the back that is quite deteriorated with age but a name can be seen that is E.H.Moor. Any info or advice would be welcome.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Brianj; April 25th, 2019, 02:12 AM.

That's a really good painting. It's idealized. not a warts-and-all realistic portrait, but that was common at the time (and still is), especially with young girls. She looks familiar, but I don't know if that's because I have seen the same girl in another painting or it's just a very typical look. Even if it turns out to be a copy of a girl from a more famous painting, it's well done.

Comment

I thought straight away Lillian Gish.

Click image for larger version

Name:	LillianGish.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	10.4 KB
ID:	99727

Comment

Quite possible. Normally you would accuse an artist of exaggerating features such as the eyes and the lips, but if the artist had her in mind then if anything they were toned down.

Click image for larger version  Name:	144583efaf2746e106bc31547112a527.jpg Views:	0 Size:	103.4 KB ID:	99744

Comment

Thanks for the interesting idea

Comment

Looking up the name "E.H. Moore", there is a contemporary painter by that name who does not appear to be the artist based on what I found.

I also came across a lithograph based on what might be a Victorian-era painting by a different E.H. Moore.
            https://wellcomecollection.org/works/hj27m83r

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            Stick Out Tongue :p Wink ;) Big Grin :D Embarrassment :o Smile :) Frown :( Confused :confused: Mad :mad: Roll Eyes (Sarcastic) :rolleyes: Cool :cool: EEK! :eek:
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            x
            Working...
            X